Monday, March 3, 2008

Daisy Brand, Ceramacist

Daisy Brand is a survivor of the Holocaust from Czechoslovakia. She was deported to Auschwitz and survived that camp, and was then transported to Riga as a slave laborer. Other camps followed until liberation. She now lives in the Boston, having immigrated to the USA from Israel in 1966. She was educated at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston and Boston University. She has exhibited her ceramic work frequently in New England and in Europe, including France, Italy, England and Canada. She was part of a large exhibition curated by Monice Bohm-Duchen in London during 1995, "After Auschwitz". Brand is an artist who challenges Theodor Adorno's notion that to write poetry after Auschwitz is barbaric. Her own ceramic art incorporates her wartime experiences. "My father was a banker in Bratislava. He was given a posting to the eastern part of Czechoslovakia, near the border with Rumania and Ukraine. While we were there, we were rounded up and transported to a Jewish ghetto. We were then transported to concentration camps. I myself spent time in seven different camps, including Auschwitz. I was only fourteen years old when I was incarcerated and I subsequently saw my entire family murdered."
























No comments: